This is Democracy in the 21st century and Bush set the standard. I heard Rice say today that Kenya was the most stable country in East Africa and does not understand what happened. I do! Bush has set the underhanded standard here too. Get what you want anyway you have to, that is all that matters.
He set the standard! "free and fair" election was not held in the United States on Nov. 3, 2004. Voting "irregularities" were widespread, and often concentrated in money-poor areas inhabited by people-of-color. People were illegally turned away from the polls, given misinformation about when/if they could vote, and found that their registrations had disappeared. Additionally, electronic voting machines that were easy-to-hack and had no ability to produce a paper trail were in use in more areas than ever before. Throw in corporate-owned candidates up and down the ticket that provided no meaningful choice, and Nov. 3 2004 really was a sElection.
After the sElection, "third party" candidates attempted to call the powers-that-be on their scams by demanding recounts in several states, and activists worked hard to expose the issues of racist fraud, electronic voting machines, and the generally undemocratic workings of voting in the U.S. The problems of 2004 were already raising their ugly heads in 2002 and 2000.
Knowing how fraudulent this "great right" of a true Democracy has routinely become that in itself should tell you about Democracy today but I happened upon 20 amazing facts about voting today that really bothers me and I can't believe it has been allowed to happen like everything else underhanded today, right under our "closed eyes"
Did you know....
1. 80% of all votes in America are counted by only two companies: Diebold and ES&S.
2. There is no federal agency with regulatory authority or oversight of the U.S. voting machine industry.
3. The vice-president of Diebold and the president of ES&S are brothers.
4. The chairman and CEO of Diebold is a major Bush campaign organizer and donor who wrote in 2003 that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."
5. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel used to be chairman of ES&S. He became Senator based on votes counted by ES&S machines.
6. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, long-connected with the Bush family, was recently caught lying about his ownership of ES&S by the Senate Ethics Committee.
7. Senator Chuck Hagel was on a short list of George W. Bush's vice-presidential candidates.
8. ES&S is the largest voting machine manufacturer in the U.S. and counts almost 60% of all U.S. votes.
9. Diebold's new touch screen voting machines have no paper trail of any votes. In other words, there is no way to verify that the data coming out of the machine is the same as what was legitimately put in by voters.
10. Diebold also makes ATMs, checkout scanners, and ticket machines, all of which log each transaction and can generate a paper trail.
11. Diebold is based in Ohio.
13. Jeff Dean was Senior Vice-President of Global Election Systems when it was bought by Diebold. Even though he had been convicted of 23 counts of felony theft in the first degree, Jeff Dean was retained as a consultant by Diebold and was largely responsible for programming the optical scanning software now used in most of the United States.
15. None of the international election observers were allowed in the polls in Ohio.
16. California banned the use of Diebold machines because the security was so bad. Despite Diebold's claims that the audit logs could not be hacked, a chimpanzee was able to do it! (See the movie
NOTE: Please copy the above list and distribute freely! LET THE FACTS BE KNOWN! Thank you!