Thursday, December 15, 2005

Todays thought: What happened to we are not into Nation Building?

I had a conversation today that mede me feel I should remind us all of something. President Bush gave his fourth speech on his plan for Iraq and his assessment as to how things were going. Overall I really don’t have much to say about it except that it was the same old rhetoric with 2 distinct exceptions. Surprisingly I haven’t heard either of these points mentioned. Particularly surprising is that the Democrats haven’t capitalized off of these two admissions. President Bush was being commended for being honest and admitted to being accountable for believing bad intelligence as the rest of the world and both parties did. While saying the intelligence was wrong but taking out Saddam was right. I disagree with that statement as many of you do and that doesn’t sound like taking responsibility to me. It sounds like just some more rhetoric from the artful dodger. He still has not been honest and if he was he shouldn’t be getting credit for something he should have done years ago. The big turn around to me was the fact that right from the beginning he has insisted that we are not in the business of Nation building. Am I the only one in the country that listened today when he said that unseating Saddam was not our only original goal? He now says that building a successful Democracy in Iraq was one of our original goals. Isn’t that a standard Bush about face? Isn’t that also called Nation building?
James Joiner
Gardner, Ma
www.anaveragepatriot.com

No comments: